Winning the loyalty of a walked guest is possible with a balance of communication, compassion, empathy and professionalism.
In our industry, guests are usually only walked (moved to alternate accommodations because no rooms are available) because of two scenarios. First, when an event reduces your room inventory unexpectedly on a sold-out night, leaving you overbooked. Second, when strategically overselling your hotel backfires and more guests show up than you have rooms for.
In either case, there is a proper way to handle the situation to reduce customer complaints.
First, you need to identify the guests you will walk. When choosing who to walk, take into consideration a few factors:
- Are the guests members of your brand’s loyalty program? (Try to avoid walking these guests whenever possible.)
- How many nights are they staying?
- What rate are they paying?
- What channel did they book through?
- What type of room did they book?
By: Ryan Sorensen (Author of “The INNside Story)
The above is an extract of the original article available at: HotelNewsNow